Olafur Eliasson Event Review
Interview with Fiona Kelly Photographer
I found Fiona Kelly on Instagram and contacted her by email through Melanie, here is some of the communication:
1. How long have you been working in the industry?
I have been a photographer for over 10 years
2. How did you get into your position?
I trained as a graphic designer and did photography as a part of this course. I then got a job as a graphic designer but also art directed photographic shoots. I did this work for nearly 14 years before I took my photography hobby and love into a business and career.
3. Has the industry changed since you have started? If so in what way?
The industry has become more competitive with many more photographers since I started, but equally its become more creative with amazing work being produced. For the most part its a very supportive industry to work in.
4. Is there any advice you wish you had heard before getting into photography Professionally?
I wish I had been aware of all the other things I would need to do to run a photography business. The actual photography is only one small part of the job, you have to have so many more skills to make it a professional job, ie, marketing, business management, sales etc.
5. Are there any skills that surprised you when moving forward with photography?
I was surprised how many skills I had already that were transferrable, organising shoots, designing albums, networking, time management
6. How do you motivate yourself/ your team?
When its your business that is the motivation. To allow yourself to have the life you want by creating the business you want.
7. What do you do if you get an art block?
I step away and give myself time to do something different. Often breathing space clears any blocks
8. What’s the best job decision you’ve ever made?
To start the business in the first place
9. What’s the worst job decision you’ve ever made?
I spent money in the wrong places when I first started as I didnt know any better. This cost me but it was a lesson learned!
10. What’s the favorite thing about your job?
Working with the people I work with. I work with amazing couples and wonderful clients who trust me to create photos they will love. I want to keep building and to do great work for my clients.